Monday, September 28, 2009

The A in A & M Records

Lately I've been into Herb Alpert's music. I know...random. We all grew up hearing his 1979 hit "Rise" (Notorious B.I.G. later sampled it in "Hypnotize"). You know the track. I sometimes think it's the beginning song of "Chips" where Ponch and John are rolling down the 2 Freeway in Glendale. Same era.

"Rise" is trumpeter Alpert (also the A in A&M Records...didn't know that until my Dad told me) taking you back, taking you WAY back. Every time I hear this song...I picture some dude with a hairy chest and a gold chain driving a gold Cadillac El Dorado down Sunset Blvd. playing this song.

The guy looks like this...yeah, I pictured Burt Reynolds...

And, he's driving this...

You get the picture. Now, go listen to that song!

2 comments:

Vanessa Stern said...

Seriously dying laughing at the visuals! Love this post!

bridechic said...

You're so great at evoking vintage chic.

Related Posts with Thumbnails